Commencement Ceremony Honors College of Nursing Graduates
For most, commencement is a time to step out in the world and start their careers. For others, the degree they earned will lead them to more schooling. But for all of the College of Nursing graduates, May 4, 2012, was a day they will remember for the rest of their lives.
This spring, a total of 301 nursing degrees were conferred at the Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts while College of Nursing graduates’ families and friends proudly watched.
Almost 20 graduates were recognized for awards in excellence or outstanding service. The inaugural Care, Lead, Inspire awards were introduced and presented to those undergraduate students who exemplify the three parts of the College’s motto. These students were selected by the faculty as those who best embody each of the attributes.
Academic Excellence Awards were presented to the student in each degree program who had the highest academic record, and Student Awards were voted on by the graduating class.
Another inaugural award was presented at this spring’s Commencement Ceremony. Patricia Sassner, ARNP, MSN, RN, (MSN 1997) was selected to receive the College’s Preceptor of the Year Award, recognizing her years of teaching nursing students at the North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System, where she is an advanced practice nurse.
The Alumna of the Year Award was presented to Sherrie Sitarik, MSN, BSN, (BSN 1978) honoring and recognizing her for her career achievements at Orlando Health, where she was named president and CEO in 2010.
College of Nursing Excellence Awards
• Excellence in Community Service Award: Elizabeth Eileen Macari
• Excellence in Research Award: Fidelis Joven PeBenito
• The Lois Knowles Award for Excellence in Gerontological Nursing: Justina Kay Chappell
• The UF College of Nursing Care Award: Marianna Broz
• The UF College of Nursing Lead Award: Candace Kristin Kuphal
• The UF College of Nursing Inspire Award: Ana Carla Peña
• Sigma Theta Tau Excellence in Clinical Practice Award: Ana Carla Peña
• Sigma Theta Tau Excellence in Scholarly Activity Award: Hyochol “Brian” Ahn
• Graduate Student Council Outstanding DNP Student Award: Justina Kay Chappell
• Graduate Student Council Outstanding PhD Student Award: Hyochol “Brian” Ahn
• Outstanding Faculty Award: Karen Reed and David Derrico
• Nursing College Council Recognition Award: Cher Hubsher
• UF Nursing Student Association Recognition Award: Angela Cofino
• Outstanding Senior Student Award: Brittany Gannon
• Outstanding Senior Mentor Award: Sarah Pane
• BSN: Erin Elizabeth Fisher
• Accelerated BSN: Kristina Michelle Michaudet
• MSN: Cynthia Finnegan Dedrick
• BSN-to-DNP: Allison C. Bruner
• Postmaster’s DNP: Joan Sarratt Bardo
• PhD: Craig Cunningham